Sunday, June 10, 2012

Starting From Scratch


Some flowers from our garden.
As some of you know, I'm a lawyer and a teacher, not a designer or a photographer, but I have such a strong desire to become a designer, an artist and a crafter that I dream about it the whole day.

I've always had this strong desire to learn new things and then teach others to do the same and try survive with their newly acquired skills and creations. But first, I must prove to myself that I can do it right.

I decided, about a month ago, to take an online course to learn how to blog in subjects such as decoration, photography, illustrations, etc. The course is called "Blogging your way".

Yes, I know a lot about blogging, I have been blogging for about 7 years now and I can say that I'm a very successful blogger, we have over 19,000 visits per day (on peak days) on my other blog, I have written a book, and I have my own successful business.

But this is so different.

I have zero training as a photographer, decorator, or illustrator.

So it's a complete new challenge that makes me feel so happy, so young, so alive. However, at the same time, I'm feeling a bit discourage because everybody else in the course seems to know more than I do; many of them are designers and have already a career in this field.

Olive tree branch.

I try to overcome these feelings by working on my skills, so today, for the first time in my life, I started studying photography deeply inspired by Jeanette Lunde, one of our teachers. What a fabulous e-magazine she has!

As some of you know, I'm crazy about white and Nordic Design. Perhaps, this is the influence of my husband who is Dutch.

Hope you join me in this journey: going from zero to something, whatever that might be. And, I hope it also encourages you to do new things in your life and to keep learning.

Have a wonderful day!

5 comments:

agata said...

Eres una mujer fantástica y no me cabe la menor duda de que eres capaz de hacer cualquier cosa con éxito porque tu ilusión lo puede todo. Yo tengo 48 años y hace 2 que comencé a estudiar inglés desde 0. Me está costando muchísimo y avanzo muy lentamente pero me hace sentir muy bien ver que soy capaz de enteder algunas cosas del vasto "universo inglés". Sigo tus dos blogs. Espero poder contestarte pronto en inglés :)
Un abrazo

Monicats said...

Muchas gracias Ágata. Así se habla. Siempre hay que estar aprendiendo cosas en esta vida y mantener la ilusión. Besos Mónica

Monicats said...

He visto el perrito y me ha parecido que quizás pintabas. He ido a visitar tu página y qué sorpresa. Sí, pintas. Me encanta! Ya me he hecho tu seguidora. Besos

Anonymous said...

Hello Mónica, I like very much your blog and I think that you are a very hard-working person. I expect that my English is good. I am studying at EOI, I am in third course. Love, Beatriz.

Monicats said...

Thank you very much Beatriz.

Related posts